The Norton Community recently posted a good blog on why you should clean up your computers [See Blog Here]. Here’s a brief summary on what you need to do and why it matters:
Why you need to:
- Outdated and unused software can be a vulnerability to cyber criminals
- Have a clear backup system will help you recover from hardware failures and viruses easily and efficiently
- Being aware of what’s supposed to be on your computer, will help you realize when there’s something you didn’t ask for
- These programs could be sucking up your resources (at best), or (at worst) doing malicious things
- Keeping programs and operating systems up to date helps to keep your computer secure from known threats
What to do:
- Clean up unused programs
- Go into your “control panel” –> “programs and features” and look over all the programs you have installed and delete programs you no longer need, or that you don’t think are supposed to be there.
- You can sort this by “Publisher” or “Installed On” to see what’s recently come through.
- Typically, anything that says “Toolbar” is a good idea to just delete. Just use the built-in toolbar from Chrom or Opera
- Look into your backup software ( if you don’t have one, check out ShadowProtect, they have good reviews and a decent pricepoint)
- Has it been running effectively?
- Is it working the way it should?
- Checkout your Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware
- If you’re a single user, Windows Defender (Free and built-in) should be just fine. If you’re an enterprise, you’ll want something more robust
- Is the AV/AM updating regularly?
- Has their been any threats detected?
- Check your Windows Updates
- Have they updated successfully?
- When was the last time you checked?
- Run your defragmentation
- Good idea if you feel your PC slowing, or you have used a lot of data. This won’t work if you have a solid-state drive, but those are super fast anyway and can’t get fragmented (or, technically, they are already fragmented but it doesn’t matter).
We’ve been fortunate to grow in the last year and add some new teammates! You may have already spoken to them on the phone, but we wanted to formally introduce them to you! We’re really excited to have them on board, and we think you’ll enjoy working with them too!
Nerd Rating: 4.2
Lisa joined Velox back in February and is part of the Red Team.
Lisa first encountered computers and programing when she was nine with a cast-off Ti-99 (google it). Since then she has been fascinated with technology. After working for a small consulting firm for several years she decided it was time to make it official and got her Microsoft Technology Associate Certificate in networking. She is currently pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology at Colorado Technical University.
Lisa moved to Bend in 1999 and when she isn’t being a complete technology nerd, you’ll find her watching her kids sporting events, off-roading, camping, or riding Central Oregon trails on horseback.
Nerd Rating: 3
Brandon joined Velox back in February and is part of the Gold Team.
Brandon first become interested in technology as a kid when he started to take computers apart and reassemble them (and they worked!). This eventually led him to build his own computers to meet various needs. He graduated from COCC in 2016 with an associate’s degree in Computer and Information Systems with an emphasis on networking.
Brandon has been a resident of Central Oregon since 2005 and when he’s not on his computer you will find him enjoying time with his wife and amazing son and daughter, golfing, or enjoying the great Central Oregon outdoors.
Some Have Moved On
Jon Theesen has moved on to persue a career as a sound engineer and we’re excited to watch this next stage of his career.
If you know of someone looking to work in IT, check out our careers page.
Dentists today experience many challenges in providing the best service to their clients, and technology continues to provide excellent solutions, but also comes with challenges. And that’s why we’re here. We exist to help you experience your technology the way it was meant to be!
Maximize Patient Experience
We exist to propel you to server your clients better! Our goal is to take away the time, energy, and effort it takes to manage your IT systems so you can focus on your business and on your clients!
When it comes it IT support, speed matters! Every minute you spend fiddling and fixing your technology is a minute you aren’t spending serving your clients or keeping the lights on. Not only will we respond quickly to issues, but we’ll work to stop issues before they happen! We offer:
- 24/7 On-Call Support
- Guaranteed Response Times
- OnSite Support Included
- Disaster Recovery and Planning
- Preventative Maintenance
With all the ins and outs of dental software, understanding the industry and specifics matters! Our technicians have a wide range software experience and specific dental software experience. We have experience with:
- CareStream (WinOMS)
- CareStream (PracticeWorks)
- DMC Dental (Daisy)
- And many more!
Picture that your computer is a house. The RAM is your floor space. Basically this is how many toys you can play with at a time. How fast you play with the toys is determined by your processor speed (measured in gigahertz). And your Hard Drive memory is how large your closet space is, basically how many toys you can have in the house. You can’t play with all of them at the same time, but the more floor space you have (RAM) the more you can do at one time. The more closet space (Hard Drive) you have, the more toys you can store to play with at different times.
Today we want to give a shout out to all our wonderful customers! We are so thankful that you have chosen to do business with us!
The Velox Team
“In short, there is no way that any organization can keep it, and its customers and their data, safe all the time. Many organizations now assume they will be breached and set up monitoring systems to spot when that happens, while also training staff to react quickly to fix problems.”
This is how a recent article from the BBC summarized the reality of the vulnerabilities faced by companies today.
The reality is, if you don’t have training in place and ongoing monitoring, you are at risk. Need help? Get started with Velox today.
Read the whole article here