A recent data breach was found affecting 80 Million US households (article here for the report). This 24GB of data was found unprotected on a Microsoft Azure server. This brings up one of the two myths that people believe about cloud security, that the cloud is secure and you don’t have to think about what you’re putting up there. This simply isn’t the case. If you don’t secure the cloud, it won’t be secure.
Here are some initial steps you need to do to secure the cloud:
- Turn on and configure built-in security services
- Microsoft Azure: (https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/overview/security/)
- AWS: https://aws.amazon.com/security/
- Update your platform when patches are availible
- Enable TFA on your logins